This time of year, there’s nothing better than sipping on a Hot Toddy, aka Hot Buttered Rum. The rich buttery flavor mixed with the spices and warming rum… it’s the perfect winter elixir.
Whether you believe that a Hot Buttered Rum has the powers to ward off an oncoming cold, this hot drink is a crowd pleaser. I like to think it has special powers, but that might just be an excuse to drink more of them! A classic Irish coffee is another great hot elixir, though it has a lot more robust flavors that this hot buttered rum.
A Hot Buttered Rum is quite easy to make, and you can mix up a large batch of the spiced butter to use for subsequent drinks, which cuts down on prep time.
Mix up a large batch and keep it in your fridge for whenever the mood strikes. Or use a large batch to make hot toddies for your holiday party. My aunt makes Hot Buttered Rum for all of our family holiday gatherings.
We’ve come to expect that butter mix to show up at the party and if it doesn’t, we confront her in mock anger. It’s just that good. She also always brings eggnog, so we go between sipping hot buttered rum and eggnog cocktails.
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients
- Brown sugar
- Dark Rum
- Orange juice
- Orange zest and rind for garnish
By the way, you don’t have to use dark rum. Any brown liquor will suffice, so if you only have whiskey on hand, try a Hot Buttered Whiskey instead.
»Have you heard about Saucey? Order online and they’ll deliver your order with 2-hour or 2-day shipping in 20 major US cities. HUGE selection. No minimums and free delivery! Take $5 off your first order with code “SAS”!
» Learn more about drinking and enjoying rum in this guide (p.s. there are cocktail recipes too!)
Here are a few white or silver rums that we recommend for cocktails.
Since it’s not super practical to make just one drink at a time, the recipe for the butter mix is enough to make 4 drinks, while the cocktail instructions themselves are for just one drink. You can make 4 with the butter mix.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
The rich buttery flavor mixed with the spices and warming rum... it's the perfect winter elixir.
For the butter mix
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the cocktails
- 6 oz dark rum
- 24 oz boiling water
- Orange zest
- Ground nutmeg
- Cinnamon stick
- Put all of the butter mix ingredients in a bowl and mix together well.
- To make 4 drinks, put all of the butter mix, rum and hot water in a pitcher and mix well. Pour into 4 hot drink glasses. Top with desired garnish.
- NOTE: To make just one drink, place 2 tbsp of the butter mix into a mug, pour in 1 1/2 oz rum, add 6 oz hot water and stir well..
- The butter mix will keep in a container in the refrigerator for at least a week.
- You can make the butter mix ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Substitute another dark liquor for rum, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 0g
Pin it for later
Laura is the founder and editor of the travel blogs Savored Sips and Savored Journeys. She is dedicated to sharing the best information about drinks found around the world.