Add Pomegranate juice to these Mezcal Margaritas to give them a fruity boost of flavor.
» You might also like this Blood Orange Margarita.
If you’re looking for a twist on a classic margarita, this is the recipe to try. The pomegranate juice works so well with the smoky Mezcal. You’ll be wanting more than one, for sure.
Mezcal margaritas are my newest favorite thing. The smoky flavor of Mezcal really increases the uniqueness of a cocktail. Where traditionally tequila is used in a cocktail, like a margarita, Mezcal is winning me over.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pomegranate juice – I used POM pomegranate juice. It’s easy to get and tastes good. The pomegranate juice works so well with the smoky Mezcal.
- Lime juice – Fresh squeezed juice.
- Triple sec – You’ll also need triple sec. I used Cointreau.
- Mezcal – Mezcal has a unique smoky flavor. It adds an extra flair to a cocktail that is usually sweet and sour. The smoky element makes it so much more complex.
- Garnish – Rim salt and fresh rosemary sprigs.
How to Make a Mezcal Margarita
To make a Mezcal Margarita, we follow the same recipe as a traditional margarita, only substituting the Tequila with Mezcal, and to this version we’re adding pomegranate juice for a little extra flair. I used POM pomegranate juice. It’s easy to get and tastes good.
You’ll also need triple sec. I used Cointreau. And some limes.
Combine all these ingredients in a cocktail shaker and serve over ice in a margarita glass with a salted rim.
What Brand of Mezcal to Use
I don’t think you need to use the best Mezcal in your collection for this cocktail – or any cocktail for that matter. Save your good stuff for sipping.
I typically use QuiQuiRiQui blanco Mezcal, because it’s easy to find and at a good price point.
Our Recommended Tools
Highball & Chaser 13-Piece Cobbler Cocktail Shaker Set
Want to be a better bartender at home? You need a nice cocktail set! Try this black polished stainless steel bartender kit for your home bar.
If you don’t already have a good bottle or two of Mezcal, you’re gonna need to get some. Order one of our favorites below and take $5 off your first order + free delivery with code DRINK5 at Saucey.com!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this post? We’d love for you to save it to your Pinterest board to share with others! FOLLOW US on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook for more great recipes! If you made it, post a pic on Instagram and hashtag it #savoredsips
This Pomegranate Mezcal Margarita is a smoky, fruity version that will soon become a favorite.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1.5 ounces Mezcal
- Salt for the rim
- Sprig of rosemary for garnish
- Prepare a cocktail glass by wetting the rim with a lime slice, then dipping it into cocktail salt.
- Pour the pomegranate juice into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice.
- Add the lime juice, triple sec, and Mezcal. Shake well to combine.
- Pour the contents into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 0g
Other Mezcal Cocktails To Try
Click for Even More Mezcal Cocktails
Pin it for later!
Laura is the founder and editor of the travel blogs Savored Sips and Savored Journeys. She is dedicated to sharing the best information about drinks found around the world.