Milkshakes have never been so good until now. Try this super tasty Guinness Milkshake and it’ll quickly become your new favorite milkshake.
We don’t make a lot of milkshakes as adults do we? Why do kids get to have all the fun and we don’t? That’s why we made this Guinness Milkshake – the best adult milkshake you’ll ever make. That is unless you also try our boozy shamrock shake.
Whether you’re making these as a refreshing dessert for summer or serving them at your St. Patrick’s Day party in March, you can be sure everyone will love the flavor combination. The vanilla ice cream mixed with the chocolatey notes of the Guinness are a great combo. Just like a rootbeer float without the “root”.
Ingredients You Need
This recipe has just a few ingredients and it’s super easy to make. The only thing you probably will have to get is the Guinness.
- Vanilla ice cream – Use whatever brand you like. I go for Haagen Daaz because it’s nice and creamy.
- Guinness – I prefer to use Guinness in a can. There are at least two versions to choose from. Don’t go with the nitro as it’s a bit too flat for this milkshake.
- Chocolate syrup – Just a bit of chocolate syrup helps bring out the chocolatey, malty notes in the beer. It’s optional. You could also use chocolate ice cream if you like it to be really chocolatey.
- Whipped cream – Buy a can of whipped cream to easily spray it on top of the shake.
- Chocolate shavings – These make a great garnish for the shake. Just shave a few pieces from a chocolate bar.
There are a few things that will make this recipe easier to make.
- Blender or immersion blender – I use my immersion blender and make the shakes right in the measuring cup that came with it, since I don’t have a blender. You can also just toss everything into your blender.
- Measuring cup – To easily measure the beer. You can just eyeball it, but too much will make the shake too thin, so don’t overdo it.
- Milkshake glasses – Use a tall milkshake glass or Belgian beer glass for the most festive look.
How to Make a Guinness Shake
- Mix the ice cream, Guinness, and chocolate syrup in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
Can This Shake be Non-Alcoholic?
It’s pretty difficult to make this a non-alcoholic shake seeing how the main ingredient is beer. If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic version, I would just make a chocolate shake. You can add malt flavoring to it to get that extra kick.
What Guinness to Use?
There are actually quite a few versions of Guinness that you can buy at the store. There’s Guinness draught, Guinness Foreign Extra, Guinness Nitro IPA, and Guinness Dublin Porter. You can also buy most of these in either a can or a bottle. You can use any of these beers to make this shake. However, I think the best one to use is the Guinness draught in the can.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to save it to your Pinterest board to share with others! FOLLOW US on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook for more great recipes! If you made it, post a pic on Instagram and hashtag it #savoredsips
Milkshakes have never been so good until now. Ty this super tasty Guinness Milkshake and it'll quickly become your new favorite milkshake.
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings for garnish
- Mix the ice cream, Guinness, and chocolate syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Other Irish Drink Recipes To Try
- Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur
- Classic Irish Coffee
- Irish Whiskey Margarita aka Shamrock Margarita
- Festive Boozy Shamrock Shake
Click for Even More Irish Drink Recipes
Pin it for later!
Laura is the founder and editor of the travel blogs Savored Sips and Savored Journeys. She is dedicated to sharing the best information about drinks found around the world.