These Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are everyone’s favorite appetizer and they pair really well with beer and wine, for the perfect party snack.
» Looking for more great party food and appetizers? See all our favorites and try these bacon wrapped shrimp.
This is one of our family’s favorite snacks, along with bacon-wrapped tater tots (what? we like bacon!). We make them for just about every occasion, including board game days, Christmas & New Years parties, and movie nights.
They’re easy to make and everyone loves the cheesy bacony deliciousness they meld into once they’re baked. Try these cream cheese stuffed peppers if you are looking for a similar appetizer and don’t want to work with jalapenos. Try it cold with this bacon jalapeno cheese ball.
My only complaint with these little morsels is that they don’t look great coming out of the oven. The cheese has a way of oozing out the ends of the peppers. But that’s just aesthetics. They taste amazing.
Ingredients You Need
- Jalapenos – A medium-sized jalapeno works best for even flavor distribution. Also try to keep them all about the same size so they cook at the same rate.
- Cream Cheese – Don’t bother with a less fat version. It’s not good. And make sure you take this out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before working with it, so it can soften.
- Cheddar Cheese – You can use shredded or block cheese. My favorite is Tillamook. You could also use Monterrey Jack cheese, if you want a little extra kick.
- Seasonings – Garlic salt and cumin are my go-to seasonings to give the cream cheese stuffing some flavor.
- Bacon – One of the keys to great jalapeno poppers is the bacon. Since there are so many different types of bacon, you do need to select the right one for these. I like to use a thinly sliced bacon (not thick cut or center-cut).
How to Wrap the Bacon
If the jalapenos you purchase are small, like the ones pictured here, then halving the bacon horizontally is just fine. Half a piece of bacon will wrap nicely around a small piece of pepper.
If the peppers are larger, you may want to cut the bacon vertically so you have long skinny strips. These long strips will do a better job of wrapping all the way around a larger pepper and securing the cheese inside, which is key.
I’m partial to the bacon I get through Butcher Box. It’s a subscription meat delivery service and they have 100% grass-fed beef, free range organic chicken and heritage breed pork in many different cuts. Their bacon is amazing.
How To Make Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Cut the jalapenos in half and remove the ribs and seeds. Leaving more in will increase the heat. We remove all of the seeds and most of the white ribs, as you can see below. If you like heat, just leave it more.
Mix the cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, and cumin in a bowl until mixed. Stuff each pepper half with filling, then wrap with half a piece of bacon.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the bacon is browned. Beware that some of the cheese will inevitably ooze out the top of the pepper. If you don’t want that, you have to wrap the peppers very well top to bottom, but I don’t bother with that. When the cheese comes out the top, it gets nice and crispy and delicious.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Extra Tips & Suggestions
- It’s a good idea to wear some kind of protective gloves while working with jalapenos. One wrong touch to the eye and you’ll be glad you did. The oils stay on your hands for a long time.
- You might need to cook them a little bit longer to get the bacon crisped. I also put them under the broiler if the bacon isn’t cooking fast enough, to get some extra crispness. That step is optional.
- If you want the poppers to stay together really well and not have cheese spilling out the end, you need to wrap them really well with bacon, meaning you probably have to use a whole piece of bacon per popper. I don’t mind a little spillage.
Like this post? We’d love for you to save it to your Pinterest board to share with others! FOLLOW US on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook for more great recipes! If you made it, post a pic on Instagram and hashtag it #savoredsips
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
These Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are everyone's favorite appetizer and they pair really well with beer and wine, for the perfect party snack.
- 12 jalapeno peppers approximately 3-4 inches long
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 12 slices thin bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the jalapenos in half and remove the ribs and seeds. Leaving more in will increase the heat.
- Mix the cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, and cumin in a bowl until mixed.
- Stuff each pepper half with filling, then wrap with half a piece of bacon.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the bacon is browned.
If you don’t like the peppers to be spicy, remove all of the seeds and ribs. For more spice, leave some of them in.
You can cut the bacon in half lengthwise to cover more surface, if your peppers are larger.
Pin it for later!
Laura is the founder and editor of the travel blogs Savored Sips and Savored Journeys. She is dedicated to sharing the best information about drinks found around the world.
5 thoughts on “Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers”
I love these never made them but now I am off to the stove to get everything thanks!
I LOVE JALAPENO PEPPERS! These were amazing!
These are bursting with so many great flavors that you don’t need pretty when you have deliciousness!
I need to make these ASAP! They look incredible — my hubby would love them!
These are my favorite! And they’re so easy to make!