Spicy Chipotle Mayo is the perfect calamari dipping sauce. Made with simple ingredients, it’s a spicy and creamy sauce that is perfect with calamari and on burgers and sandwiches.
Chipotle mayo is made with mayonnaise, spicy chipotle powder or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and a few other basic ingredients. It takes around 5 minutes to prepare and provides a tasty kick.
The smokiness of the chipotle peppers combined with the spicy kick is simple and delicious. We regularly make it for board game night or as a game day snack. I have yet to meet anyone who does not enjoy it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here are the things you’ll need for this sauce.
- Mayonnaise – The mayonnaise gives the dip a nice, creamy texture. I always use full fat mayonnaise. Low-fat ones are simply not as good.
- Chipotle pepper – You can go two directions with this. You can use chipotle powder or you can use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Both give the sauce a spicy, smoky flavor. So use whichever you have on hand or prefer.
- Garlic – Adds a bit of spiciness to the sauce.
- Lime juice – Lime helps balance the flavors of the ingredients.
- Pinch of salt
What is the Difference Between Chipotle Powder and Peppers?
For this sauce, you can use either chipotle powder (the dried version), or you can use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce that comes from a can.
Both are made from smoked chipotle peppers, but they are in a different form. The powder looks very similar to chili powder and has a smoky, spicy kick to it. You will need to use less powder than actual peppers for the same amount of heat.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are in a small can that includes chipotle chiles (which are smoked and dried jalapeños) that are rehydrated and canned with adobo sauce, a purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and other spices.
Of course your sauce will be slightly different depending on which version you want to use, but they will both have a nice smoky, spicy flavor. The choice comes down to convenience. If you have powder on hand, you can use that. If you want a more robust, flavorful sauce, you can use the canned version.
How to Make Chipotle Mayo
This is seriously the easiest dipping sauce to make. You can prep it in just 5 minutes. For the easiest sauce, use chipotle powder rather than canned.
Add the mayonnaise, chipotle powder, garlic, lemon juice and pinch of salt to a bowl and blend until combined.
Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving. If you want to make this ahead of time, you can do so up to 2 days before serving.
Tips and Notes
- You can use either chipotle pepper powder that’s dried, or get a can of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Either of these will give a nice smoky, spicy flavor to the sauce.
- Mix ingredients well for an even distribution of flavor. If you’re adding peppers from a can, you’ll want to use a food processor to blend in the chipotles fully.
- If you don’t want to use mayonnaise, you can use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
- If you’re not sure how hot you want it, start with a small amount of powder or peppers and add more once you’ve tried it to see if it needs additional spice.
Any leftover dip can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. Mason jars are especially useful for keeping your dips organized.
You can also make the dip ahead and store it this way in the refrigerator, allowing you to spend your time preparing your appetizers rather than mixing up dip.
If you aren’t a fan of spice, you can use smoky paprika in this dip instead. It gives a nice pepper flavor without the heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does chipotle mayo keep?
This spicy chipotle mayo will keep in the fridge for about a week if stored in an airtight container. Be sure that if you’re using it on separate occasions that you always use a clean spoon to remove what is needed from the jar.
Is it possible to make chipotle mayo vegan?
Yes! You can easily make this spicy mayo recipe vegan by using vegan mayo or vegan sour cream.
Can you freeze chipotle mayo?
This sauce does not freeze well. When it freezes, it separates and becomes watery. It won’t thaw well. You’re best off making it fresh each time you need it.
Other Dips to Try
Like this post? We’d love for you to save it to your Pinterest board to share with others! FOLLOW US on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook for more great recipes! If you made it, post a pic on Instagram and hashtag it #savoredsips
Spicy Chipotle Mayo is the perfect calamari dipping sauce. Made with simple ingredients, it's a spicy and creamy sauce that is perfect with calamari and on burgers and sandwiches.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Add the mayonnaise, chipotle powder OR chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, garlic, lemon juice and pinch of salt to a bowl and blend until combined. If using chipotle pepper, blend it in a food processor or with a stick blender to incorporate.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving.
- You can use either chipotle powder or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Laura is the founder and editor of the travel blogs Savored Sips and Savored Journeys. She is dedicated to sharing the best information about drinks found around the world.