If you love a good margarita then this cocktail is for you. Black Magic Margarita has tequila, triple sec, and lime juice with a Halloween flare thanks to dark food coloring and edible glitter.
As the leaves begin to fall and the nights grow longer, there’s an undeniable sense of enchantment in the air. Halloween, the most bewitching time of the year, is just around the corner, and what better way to embrace the spooky spirit of the season than with a Black Magic Margarita?
This chilling concoction isn’t your typical margarita. Whether you’re hosting a wickedly fun costume party or simply looking to add a dash of dark sorcery to your evening, the Black Magic Margarita is the potion you’ve been seeking.
Join us on a journey into the mysterious world of this spine-tingling cocktails, where the art of mixology and the mystique of Halloween collide.
Other Spooky Halloween Cocktails
Our Recommended Tools
Highball & Chaser 13-Piece Cobbler Cocktail Shaker Set
Want to be a better bartender at home? You need a nice cocktail set! Try this black polished stainless steel bartender kit for your home bar.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Black sanding sugar – You can usually find many colors in the baking section of the grocery store where you can find the sprinkles. You can purchase black sanding sugar from Amazon. There are a few choices available.
- Lime juice – For the best flavor use fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Tequila – Use your favorite tequila. Blanco or silver tequila is the most commonly used type of tequila for margaritas. Really anything will work.
- Triple sec – Triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur. You could substitute Cointreau if you needed to.
- Edible glitter – Optional. It adds a sparkly touch to any cocktail.
- Food coloring – Red, green, and blue food coloring.
- Garnish – Lime slices
What Tequila To Use
When it comes to making a margarita, it’s important to use a good quality tequila that complements the other ingredients in the cocktail. Blanco or silver tequila is the most commonly used type of tequila for margaritas, as it has a clean, crisp flavor that works well with citrus and sweet flavors.
Some popular tequila brands that are often used in margaritas include Patrón, Don Julio, and Casamigos. However, there are many other good quality tequilas available that can be used in margaritas, depending on your personal preference and budget.
It’s important to note that tequila is a matter of personal taste, and what works well in one person’s margarita may not work well in another’s. It’s always a good idea to experiment with different tequilas and find the one that you enjoy the most in your margarita.
How To Make A Black Magic Margarita
Wet the rim of a margarita glass by wiping a lime slice around the top of the glass. Dip the glass in the black sanding sugar to coat the rim and set aside.
Fill the glass with ice taking care not to get the sanding sugar rim wet. Add the lime juice, tequila and triple sec. Stir well to combine.
Add one drop each of the red, blue, and green food colorings and stir. Continue adding until your desired blackness is achieved. Add edible glitter and stir, if using.
Notes About The Recipe
- To help rim the glass you can use honey or agave syrup instead of lime juice.
- You can make your own sanding sugar if you can’t find the right shade in the stores. Try this recipe.
- This margarita will make your mouth and tongue a blackish blue color.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes a black magic margarita black?
The black color of a black magic margarita comes from the addition of food coloring to the drink. In this case, a mixture of red, green, and blue food coloring. Experiment with how much to get the color you are looking for.
Does a black magic margarita taste different from a regular margarita?
No. The recipe is a traditional margarita recipe. Only the color is changed.
Can I make this into a blended margarita?
Sure. Add the food color to the blender as you blend up the ice.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this post? We’d love for you to save it to your Pinterest board to share with others! FOLLOW US on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook for more great recipes! If you made it, post a pic on Instagram and hashtag it #savoredsips
This chilling concoction isn't your typical margarita. Whether you're hosting a wickedly fun costume party or simply looking to add a dash of dark sorcery to your evening, the Black Magic Margarita is the potion you've been seeking.
- 1 tablespoon black sanding sugar
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1 1/2 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 cup ice
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Lime slices, for garnish
- Wet the rim of a margarita glass and dip it in the black sanding sugar to coat the rim.
- Fill the glass with ice. Add the lime juice, tequila and triple sec. Stir.
- Add one drop each of the food colorings and stir. Continue adding until your desired blackness is achieved.
- Stir in edible glitter, if using.
When not mixing up delicious cocktails to enjoy on the patio with friends, Angela is busy writing about food and drinks for three popular food websites, and exchanging creative ideas on social media.